July 18, 2013

When Your Child Wants To Watch An Inappropriate Movie



My daughter and I have always enjoyed watching movies together.  We would cuddle up on the couch with one of her favorite animated movies. I never worried about age appropriate content when we were choosing from Disney classics or other G rated movies.

Now that she is 9 years old she's started requesting more than our usual animated movies and I can't get away with only Tinkerbell, Cinderella and the similiar.  She sees movie trailers advertised on television and hears about different movies from her friends.  Then she will ask me if she is allowed to watch it or not. 

Now this can sometimes get a little tricky if I tell her she's not allowed to watch a movie that one of her friends has watched.  I try to explain that all parents are different and have different sets of rules.  I am not super strict but there are things I just don't think my 9 year old should see. 

For example I let her watch the first Twilight movie with me, but I wouldn't let her watch Breaking Dawn 1&2 because of the sex scenes.  Even though the scenes are not explicit, it's still a subject matter that I don't believe she needs to know about yet.  If there is a lot of violence or bad language I won't let her watch it either. I will usually just tell her that there are too many bad words in it and that's why I don't want her to watch it.  Luckily for me, that suffices her for now.

Some parents just go by the movie rating, but that's just a guide to me.  Some PG movies I will allow my daughter to see and some I won't.  If I haven't seen the movie myself, I try to find out more about it.  That's when I found out about Mommy Bear Media.  It has been an excellent tool for finding age appropriate movies at excellent prices.

Mommy Bear Media only sells G, PG and some PG-13 rated. With each movie you see a family movie review.  You can read other parents reviews and also get content rating.  There is an A-F grade for each of the following - violence, sexual content, language and quality.  It is now my favorite place to find family movies and I especially like the prices.

Below I picked a couple of my favorites at Mommy Bear Media in each rating G, PG and PG-13.

G - General Audiences - Suitable For All Ages

Willy Wonka ans the Chocolate Factory
$5.95
Rio dvd
$12.49




                                              








    PG - Parental Guidance Suggested - Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children

      Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
      $6.49
      E.T.
      $16.96













      PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned - Some Material May Be Unappropriate For Children Under 13

      Twilight
      $5.45
      Iron Man
      $20.49














        What are some of your families' favorite movies.  I love comments and hearing from my readers so let me know how you handle your child wanting to watch a movie you find inappropriate?


        No comments:

        Real Time Web Analytics Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...