December 20, 2012

Boy/Girl Sleepovers???


I remember having sleepovers with my girlfriends and they were so much fun.  We would stay up late and laugh until the wee hours of the morning.  They were great bonding experiences and I still have a couple of the same girlfriends from those little girl sleepovers.

My daughter has had a couple sleepovers with her girlfriends and they have such a good time.  Then the other day my daughter asked me if she could sleep over her friends house.  This time I was a little surprised and didn't know what to say at first.  The friend's house she wanted to sleep over at was a boy's.

When I was a little girl, we never even thought about having a boy/girl sleepover.  It just wasn't done and therefore was never even an issue.  I know my daughter is only 8 years old, but I am just not comfortable letting her sleep over at a boys house.  She plays with boys all the time since there are no girls that live close by.  They ride bikes and climb trees and I'm fine with that.  I think it's great that she can keep up with the boys and can play just as hard as them.  

When I told my daughter that she couldn't sleepover at the boy's house, she was not very happy and wanted to know why.  I tried to explain to her why I was uncomfortable with it without getting too detailed.  I was not ready to have "The Talk" yet.  She finally accepted that it was a rule her father and I were not going to budge on and has moved on. 

Some might say I am being over protective or worry too much.  What do you think?  I would really like to know how other parents feel about this.  What is your take on boy/girl sleepovers?  Have you had any at your house?  Please comment below with your thoughts. 

Buffer

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...