August 12, 2013

DIY Project - Corner Bench



We have been very busy getting ready to move in a couple of weeks.  For the last 3 years, we have lived in an apartment and I am so glad to be moving back into a house with a huge yard.  It has been a lot of extra work because we are also doing the remodeling ourselves.

Despite the work, I have really enjoyed being able to do some DIY projects.  It lets me use my creative side and I get to work with my hands.

My first project was a corner bench my husband brought home for me.  Someone had it by the side of the road for garbage pickup and my hubby just knew I would like it.  As they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

DIY Corner Bench

It just needed a little cleaning and there were a couple of rips on two of the seats.  I happened to have some fabric in my crafting supplies that I thought would be perfect for recovering them.

I cleaned it all up and told the hubby to disassemble the three parts I wanted to recover and give me his staple gun.  I have never done any seat recovering, but I was confident I could handle the task. Which actually means I was just going to wing it like I usually do and see what happens.

I basically just laid out my material on the floor, set the seat on top of it and cut my material around it with enough extra to wrap around.  I didn't measure or make sure it was cut perfectly straight since I would just be wrapping it underneath and stapling it. Nobody cares what the underneath part looks like.

DIY Corner Bench project


The seats were originally covered in a brown leather that I left as is and just covered over.  I was a little more careful when stapling the fabric to make sure I was making it tight enough.  It didn't take me long at all to finish all three pieces.

Here are some pictures of the finished bench which I thought turned out pretty good.  It will make a nice addition to my new kitchen and didn't even cost me a penny. Now that really makes me smile:)


Have you done any DIY projects lately? I would love to hear about your favorite at home project.  I have a few more in the works and will be posting those as I get them finished.  Right now I am working on painting and recovering some stools.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great! The only DIY project I've done lately is to make a wet wipes pouch for the diaper bag.

Unknown said...

Thanks Elisabet. A wipes pouch is a neat idea.

mail4rosey said...

I love that you put shoes in there!! I think it turned out really nice.

Real Time Web Analytics Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...